Powers Curse


==========
September 12th, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Off Camera
==========

Silence is not a word most would associate with Aubrianna Powers.  Most only know the loud, vivacious, and overly confident beauty who proudly, smugly even, declares herself to be The MVP or Simply The Best.  In fact, the entire Powers family has always been known for being loud and at times obnoxious.  Steve Powers, the oldest of three Powers siblings, always called himself The Very Best.  Derek Powers, the middle child, declared himself to be The Absolute Best when he made his jump into the wrestling scene.  Aubrianna would be no different than her brothers.  Thus most wrestling observers view her as just another loud mouthed, arrogant member of the Powers wrestling family.  Few get close enough to actually get to know the real Aubrianna Powers.  One such individual who did manage to get close enough to penetrate Aubrianna’s emotional barrier is none other than professional wrestling journalist Dexter Russell.

Dexter Russell knows how lucky he is to be engaged to marry Aubrianna Powers.  Perhaps this is why he almost always is seen with a smile on his face?  Dexter wasn’t always this happy.  His relationship with Aubrianna began even before she made her professional debut.  As a journalist Dexter would often get bullied by the wrestlers backstage and the fact that he was thin and had no real muscle mass to speak of made the bullying worse as he had no real way of defending himself.  Aubrianna, who had been traveling with her brothers Steve and Derek from arena to arena, always stood up for Dexter.  She defended him and that led to what almost became a close relationship…

...until it ended abruptly.  Dexter didn’t understand at the time why Aubrianna dumped him but she rejected him, she walked away from him.  She claimed that he would only get bullied and pushed around even more intensely the more people noticed that he was being defended by a “little girl”.  She thought it was what was best for Dexter.  Russell didn’t think so; but if he needed to prove something to her then he would.  He worked out, he grew muscular, and gained confidence in himself in order to defend himself.  Eventually he won Aubrianna Powers back.

He knows that few couples get a second chance when a break up occurs.  It is a rarity and thus he is truly grateful for the opportunity he has and he will not waste this one.  He looks forward to taking Aubrianna’s hand in marriage.

All of these thoughts are going through Dexter’s head as he walks down the hall towards his fiance’s room in her home in Charlotte, North Carolina.  He makes his way to her bedroom door and stands just outside, waiting for her arrival.  They are supposed to be heading to the airport, where they will take flight towards Miami and a public appearance for Aubrianna, her first as a competitor in Emerge but they are late.  Being late isn’t new for Powers and Dexter knows this; still, he wishes to know what’s wrong.  Usually it’s nothing but Aubrianna being indecisive about what to wear.

This time, however, Dexter can’t help but hear some sniffling and sobbing coming from within.  It isn’t his journalistic instincts that kick in but rather his instincts as a lover that cause Dexter to open the door and walk inside without an invitation.  What he finds is his beautiful future bride sitting on the edge of her bed wearing an ankle length denim skirt, flip flops, and a black t-shirt with “The Sovereign” written on the front in hot pink lettering.  Her face is buried in her hands as she is clearly broken up and upset about something.

“Aubrey, is something wrong?” Dexter asks quietly but just loud enough so that Powers will hear him and notice him.  The blonde haired beauty looks up and takes notice of Dexter.  She immediately tries to regain composure as she shakes her head.

“No, I’m fine Dex.  Just go downstairs.  I’ll be there in a moment.”

This is where Dexter Russell’s journalistic instincts kick in.  Russell shakes his head. “You should know by now that you can’t lie to a good journalist and I am a damn good journalist, Aubrey.”

“Does a good journalist ever know when to mind his own damn business?” The MVP snaps back at him with venom dripping from her voice.  Dexter Russell knows that she doesn’t really mean any of this, that she’s just emotional and probably overreacting.  He chuckles and shakes his head.

“No, no he doesn’t.”

Powers rolls her eyes with frustration and then points towards the door as she shouts even angrier than before. “GET OUT, DEXTER!”

The journalist in him gives in.  He sighs and nods his head. “Fine, I’ll leave you alone Aubrey.  But you know where to find me if you want to talk.”

Dexter turns and starts to walk off.  Just as he gets to the door he hears his fiancee calling back after him. “Dexter wait....”

Russell turns around and stares at Aubrianna.  She has calmed down significantly in a short period of time.  She has been known for these emotional roller coasters but he loves that about her.  Powers motions for Dexter to join her on the bed.

“Come here, Dex.” Dexter Russell nods and then begins to make his way over to the bed.  He sits down on the edge of the bed next to Aubrianna Powers.  The beautiful blonde sighs deeply and just shrugs her shoulders.  “Sorry, Dex.  I guess I’m more upset than I thought I was.”

“There is absolutely no need to apologize for your emotions, Aubrey.  They are yours and if you don’t want to share them, you don’t have to.  I just want you to know that I am here for you if you do need someone to talk to.  Ok?”

Powers stares into the eyes of her lover.  He always seems to have the right words that make her feel good.  She plants a gentle kiss on his lips. “I want to, Dex.”

“Ok…” Dexter’s voice trails off.  Powers meanwhile pauses as she ponders the right words.  Finally she sighs as she prepares to speak from her heart.

“You know something, Dex?  My brothers and I are a lot alike.”

“I can see some of that.” He remarks, nodding his head.

“Angelica Jones is a legend in this wrestling business.  She was the first woman to win the world championship in Global Division of Wrestling.  But do you know who ended that championship reign?”

“Steve Powers.” Dexter answers.  He recalls that night well.  Angelica had a lot of momentum at the time.  Many view Powers ending her reign as an upset.  Not Dexter.  He knew how good Steve Powers was.

“Right.  And don’t think Steve was the only one who seemed to have instant success wherever he went.  Derek has already won two Heritage Championships in Global Championship Wrestling.  And just like my brothers, I have been a success everywhere I have been.  International and Global Champion in GCW and just recently I finished off nearly a one full year reign as Tapout Champion in Underground.  Wherever the Powers family goes, we are successful.”

“Good points.” Dexter remarks, nodding his head. He fails to see the problem here; he fails to see why Aubrianna is crying.  But he continues listening, expecting something more.  He is correct.

“Yet as successful as we are inside the ring, we are miserable failures in life!” Powers shouts loudly in a shrill voice.  This startles Dexter to some degree.  What ever could she mean?  Again, he remains silent as he continues to listen.  That’s what Powers needs right now; a listening ear.

“Steve has had four failed marriages…” Powers pauses as she looks somewhat confused “...or was it five?  Hell, that’s how many damn failed marriages my oldest brother has had!  He’s had so many that I can’t remember how many!”

“Well…” Dexter starts to speak here but Aubrianna cuts him off.

“And then Derek, he may not have had many relationships but he did try to damn near kill Steve and myself in a fit of jealousy!  And our parents, our parents…” her voice trails off.  Dexter embraces her in a tight hug.

“It’s ok, Aubrey.  I’m here.  What is it?”

“Our parents…” Aubrianna looks up at Dexter with tear filled eyes “...our parents broke up because of me!”

Dexter furrows his brow. “No…”

“Yes!  I don’t talk about it a lot but I wasn’t planned.  When mom got pregnant with me she and dad got into a big fight.  They didn’t want me…”

“Why didn’t your mom have an abortion?” Dexter asks inquisitively. “I mean, obviously I’m glad she didn’t but still…”

“It doesn’t matter.” The MVP shakes her head. “Point is, they broke up over me.  Point is, professionally the Powers family is a success.  Personally we are failures.  And now I’m scared.”

She places a hand on Dexter’s chest. “I love you, Dex.  I want this to work out.  But I’m afraid that my family’s string of bad luck with relationships will strike again.  I mean hell, you and I already broke up once.  Who is to say it won’t happen again?!”

So now it becomes clear.  The journalist in him realizes that The MVP is worked up over what can best be described as pre-wedding jitters.  It’s perfectly normal and natural for any future husband or wife to experience this.  Dexter has experienced some of this himself, to be perfectly honest.  Dexter Russell embraces her in a tight hug.

“Aubrey, I know this is scary.  Our entire lives will change forever, but you have to have faith in the love we have for one another, faith that this change will be for the better, and that our love will last.  Our love is stronger than any phony curse or bad luck your family has.” Dexter takes Aubrey’s hands and squeezes them tightly. “We are in this together, Aubrey.”

“You mean it?” The MVP says with a light smile.  She is beginning to calm down.  The so-called pre-wedding jitters are still there but, as usual, Dexter Russell knows the right words to say in order to comfort his future bride.  Dexter responds first with a nod of his head.

“Yes, I mean it.” He kisses her on the lips. “You and I together, forever.  I will never abandon you, Aubrey.”

Tears roll down her cheek. “But I did abandon you once…”

“That was in the past.” Dexter insists. “It doesn’t matter anymore.  What we need to focus on is the future, OUR future as a married couple.  Because I promise you that I am committed to you one hundred and ten percent.”

Powers hugs Dexter tightly. “I don’t deserve you, Dex…”



==========
On Camera
==========

“The following presentation has been paid for by The Sovereign, reminding you that we are better than you.”

The sounds of “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake can be heard playing lightly in the background.  We are standing out in front of a pier at the Miami Seaquarium.  Aubrianna Powers enters the scene from stage right, dressed in a black knee length leather skirt, black boots, and her black “Sovereign t-shirt.  A smug, confident grin is etched across her face.

“Welcome to the Miami Seaquarium!  I have to really thank Drew Bryant for scheduling Emerge to have it’s latest Invasion event here at Miami, because it allows me to visit this wonderful place.  And you can visit it as well, but don’t forget to come watch yours truly, The MVP of Sovereign, make her Emerge debut in a Spirit Championship tournament where, in one night, I will kick the collective asses of a bunch of goobers and go on to become the new Spirit Champion in Emerge.”

She laughs.  “Now I know what you’re saying, of course I’m going to predict victory.  What overconfident wrestler wouldn’t predict victory?  Well first of all, I am not overconfident.  Victory has been a part of my career.  I won a world title within my first two years of active competition.  I won and held a Tapout Championship for an entire year.  Now I’ve come to this company, Emerge, and I fully intend to do the same damn thing.  But if you don’t want to believe in history, then maybe you’ll believe the woman who I will face in the first round of this little tournament at Invasion.  So at this time please welcome my guest, and my future opponent, MADELINE MASTERS!”

Suddenly a dolphin appears from seemingly out of nowhere. “SQUEAK! SQUEAK!”

“Awww, so nice of you say Madeline!  I AM Simply The Best!”

 “SQUEAK! SQUEAK!”

“Oh, now don’t be so hard on yourself.” The MVP remarks, shaking her head. “I mean, you’re right.  You are going to lose.  But you and I will put on a hell of a show for the fans!  Right?  We’ll tear the house down!”

 “SQUEAK! SQUEAK!”

“Ok, you’re annoying me.” She tosses a treat to the dolphin. “Run along, Madeline!”

 “SQUEAK! SQUEAK!” The dolphin swims off.  Powers turns back to face the camera.

“See?  Madeline knows that she stands no chance at beating me.  The rest of you should know it and accept it as well.  Everywhere I have gone, success has followed.  This will prove to be the same when I kick Madeline’s head off and then proceed to do the same to two more losers on my way to one Tommy Cook.”

Powers smirks knowingly. “You are my target, Tommy.  You have what I want and while you are good, I am simply better.  Hell, it’s in my name; I’m Simply The Best.  You’re going to find out real quick when I introduce your head to my foot when I kick you into next week.  Then I will take the Spirit Championship.  That’s right, I’m calling my shot right here and right now; I will shock the world and on my first night in Emerge become the Spirit Champion.”

The dolphin returns!  It jumps up in the air and back down, causing Aubrianna Powers to get splashed as a result.  She glares angrily. “Damn it, Madeline!  That is no way to act!  Just because you are going to get your ass kicked by The MVP of Emerge doesn’t mean you should throw a temper tantrum!”

Powers turns and looks off camera. “You better edit that out, asshole!”

The MVP turns back to face the camera and smiles from ear to ear. “What everyone needs to learn real quickly is that this place is my backyard now.  It doesn’t matter whether you represent The Beauty Factory, Creation, Moustache Ride, whatever.  I am here to stake my claim as the one true MVP of Emerge and if you don’t buy into this now, then you will damn sure buy into this at Invasion when I march into Miami and kick some heads off.  And all you can do is just learn to love it, bitches.”

The scene fades to black.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting

Concerns (2)